1.25.2011

Boro-inspired Drawings

I've been making drawings inspired by  the Japanese textiles known as Boro for the past few weeks. After reading a book about Boro (which translates as "rags") I got fascinated by the idea of making drawings in the same spirit of patched and mended fabric. Boro were made in the northern part of Japan, where it is very cold, and were a way of using every last scrap of valuable fabric to create warm clothing. Frugality and the art of "making do" are mother to creativity in a way that nothing else can be. I want  to honor and explore these ideas, and see how they translate to paper. Artist Kathryn Clark did a post on Boro recently on her blog which you can look at here.

6 comments:

wilme said...

This really spoke to me! THANK YOU for making such beautiful art and explaining the inspiration behind it. I can't wait to see more
Wilme

Lari Washburn said...

That's so nice to hear Wilme!

Kathryn said...

Lari, these are SOOO beautiful!! Isn't boro so inspiring?! What book was it that you read? I'm having trouble finding any books on Boro here in the states. Thank you for mentioning my work, very sweet of you!

Tami Cohen said...

holy cow these are amaaaaazing! thanks :)

Lari Washburn said...

K., thanks! The book was one Sophie had, so I'll get the title for you. And thank you so much Blissful...you are very kind.

Rob Dunlavey said...

Lari: Thanks so much for this post about boro. Boro was new to me and I find it to be very beautiful and inspiring. AND…
I had to post a little blog of my own about it to spread the word at Drawger.

And, your links weren't working for me. Could this be one of them:
sri threads

Thanks again for the inspiration. I hope you continue to develop sketches based on boro.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...